What do you want to be when you grow up?
A question we’ve all likely been asked at some point in our lives. With the current college-aged generation, you will likely get a blank stare. 80% of college-bound students are undecided about a major by the time they apply for college. And of those who have chosen a major, 50% will change their majors at least 2-3 times during their college career. The 4-year degree is quickly becoming obsolete as 40% of college students are now taking 6+ years to graduate. In the book, Strengths Quest by Gallup, they discovered that many students leave college because of disillusionment, discouragement, or reduced motivation then because of lack of ability or dismissal by school administration.
The conventional approach of making students well-rounded and focusing on improving their weaknesses does not seem to be producing excellence but ONLY discouragement and confusion. After studying human success for decades, Gallup believes that if the focus in our education system shifted from a weakness-fixing model to an emphasis on developing a student’s greatest talents, it would result in:
· Development of personal qualities that promote achievement, civility, and personal wellbeing
· More clarity on what career paths would compliment a person’s greatest talents
· Less time and money spent on a college education
· Overall, less frustrated and discouraged on the part of students and parents
· New learning paradigms would emerge
If you are a student feeling frustrated in not understanding what your unique talents are, ask yourself the following questions:
1. What has been your most successful experience in an academic, learning or athletic setting?
2. I am passionate about _____________
3. I feel a sense of destiny when ______________
4. I like to think about ________________
These questions can give you clues into where your talents lie and help you discover your passions. Knowing what you’re innately good at and developing them into Strengths can be the KEY to unlocking your life’s purpose and put an end to the blank stares.
Want to understand your unique talents? Go to: www.gallupstrengthscenter.com
Want a FREE 30-min intro session with a coach? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Strengths-based Development (SBD) is our passion, commitment and life. Team reCreate is devoted to work that creates transformation, meaning and purpose in the lives of those we serve. This space is meant for you to get to know us, learn more about Strengths and hear from others in this line of work. Thanks for being on this journey with us!