Did you know: Emotional Intelligence is 2X as important as IQ and technical skills for jobs at all levels.
Daniel Goleman states there are five key attributes great leaders posses:
5. Social Skills
Last week we took a look at motivation and today we start exploring empathy.
Why do you think empathy is an important component of leadership?
Here are three reasons:
1. The increasing use of teams
2. The rapid pace of globalization
3. Growing need to retain talent
Leaders who exhibit empathy are more successful in understanding their teams emotional make-up which in turn:
· Encourages people to speak more openly about their frustrations
· Help people raise constructive complaints during meetings
The result: heightened collaboration among members and added business
Just remember- when good people leave, they take the company’s knowledge with them.
Here are some ways hallmarks of individuals with high empathy:
· Expertise in building and retaining talent
· Cross-cultural sensitivity
· Service to clients and customers
On a scale 1 to 10, 1 being low and 10 being the highest: How do you rate on empathy?
No matter where you ranked, what are some ideas you can START doing today to improve your empathy?
Next week we explore SOCIAL SKILLS!
Strengths-based Development (SBD) is our passion, commitment and life. Team reCreate is devoted to work that creates transformation, meaning and purpose in the lives of those we serve. This space is meant for you to get to know us, learn more about Strengths and hear from others in this line of work. Thanks for being on this journey with us!